Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New skill / New fabric stash

When I was in my teens, I made my first patchwork quilt. It was mainly constructed from fabric scraps, was totally uneven, had blocks that weren’t quite rectangle, and was backed with a strange satin-like material that was always freezing cold in winter. But, for a first attempt and absolutely no one to guide me, I was pretty proud of my little misshapen quilt.

Sadly, I realised a few weeks ago that it’s in desperate need of retirement, as it’s been washed so many times that it’s both frayed and sun-worn. But it kept me warm on the couch for more than 15 winters, was loved up by the kids, and provided added padding in Lou’s bassinette when she was a babe. Which, I think, is pretty good innings for a badly made anything.

But lucky me! Yesterday, my lovely friend Michelle and I booked into a beginners quilting course, at the Quilter's Corner. I’m just a teeny bit obsessed with this lovely place; Liisa always seems to stock the most beautiful fabrics, and everyone is just so friendly, helpful and so wonderfully creative.

I’m totally bursting: I can’t wait to start!

My new fabric stash – beautiful, huh?

So looking forward to learning a new skill and meeting other local beginners…

Nat



No comments: