Monday, September 12, 2011

The Collectors...

I’ve never had a fabric stash.

I know how ridiculous that sounds, being someone who sews quite a lot; but it seems that whenever I have fabric, I tend to use it. I don’t save it, or keep it tucked away for that special project; it’s used – and used fast – on a random project, or on small something for a new baby, or on a last minute whipped-up-present for a friend. I guess that’s what it’s supposed to be for, in the end.

But I do admit, I had a case of serious fabric envy over at Kim’s yesterday – she’s got this hefty box of colour coordinated material in micro-prints, spots, stripes and solids, and is, at the moment, trying to match clothing for a couple of new dolls she’s working on. The box was stuffed full, neat as a pin, and there were random fat quarters strewn almost artfully all over the table; I stood over it and thought of all the lovely things that could be made with such a stash, but also how beautiful such a collection can be.

And it got me thinking about how some people are just born collectors.
And, how I’d quite like to be one of those people (but not in a crazy, obsessive, hording kind of way).

So, this is a very roundabout way of saying to you, that if I had all the money and time in the world to be a collector of things, this is probably what I’d start off collecting:

   

Most definitely, I’d start by amassing a beautiful stash of fabric and buttons...

...I’d also add to my collection of photographs and daguerreotypes – and may even splash out to find some turn of the century mourning photographs (because even though the idea of them is a bit morbid, the actual images are so peaceful).


I’d then build a collection of ink pots and ink bottles....


And I love the idea of collecting old newspaper advertisements – the things they’re often peddling are wonderful and strange…


(This is from a small collection of “Lloyd’s Sixpenny Dickens” which I found by accident and snapped up posthaste – it contains the original stories written by Dickens and published in the newspapers, which have then been bound into paper books. My favourite is the advert for Coles’ Ointment, which is a cure-all for abscesses, boils, poisoned wounds, eczema, as well as sore throats, croup and chesty coughs. What a miracle!)

What about you? Are you a collector?
Or do you have a list of things that you’d love to collect too, if money and time weren’t a factor?

Nat

3 comments:

Penny's Portraits said...

I think I popped over the other day saying I collect silver teaspoons and how they tell a vague story of my life and where I have been. I also have a fabric stash in a myriad of colours but haven't quite worked out what to use them for yet...
Old school stuff is so cool. And that Coles Ointment would work a treat at my place. Imagine that, a cure all for everything!!

Jodi said...

ink pots & bottles - quirky and cute! I used to be a bit of a collector but I prefer the space that comes with choosing items carefully aka "not hoarding"

MultipleMum said...

You are such a collector! I have nowhere to put stuff so I tend to just not get it. I think you need a fabric collection though. x